Wednesday, September 8, 2010

First Impressions

(I need a little sidebar banner that says "This blog is addicted to Jane Austen." Anybody care to make me one?)

So I was thinking about my first time with Jane's books. I started with Emma and loathed it and finished with Northanger Abbey and was utterly delighted. What happened in between? I'll show you.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS as well as second and third and sometimes fourth IN A NUTSHELL.
Mild spoilers inevitable.

Emma

First reading: July 2007 Reaction: OHMYGOSH WHY DOES EVERYONE CARE SO MUCH ABOUT FRANK CHURCHILL?

Second reading: February 2008 Reaction: Uh, Emma? Mr. Elton is hitting on you, darling. WAKE UP.

Third reading: May 2009 Reaction: Romance! Knightley! Wittiness and humor!

Fourth reading: April 2010 Reaction: Jane Austen is my hero.

Pride & Prejudice

First reading: August 2007 These characters talk a lot.

Second reading: January 2008 Reaction: Happy sigh.

Third reading: May 2009 Reaction: Giggle, giggle, squee, chuckle, giggle, sigh.

Fourth reading: June 2010 Reaction: (Mute adoration of Jane) Also: I HAVE TO BLOG ABOUT THIS.

Sense & Sensibility

First reading: September 2007 Reaction: Edward, what have you done!?

Second reading: January 2009 Reaction: The Colonel is how old, please?

Third reading: January 2010 Reaction: Oh, Willoughby. How could you? :( :( :(

Fourth reading: July 2010 Reaction: Every teenage girl should read this book.


Persuasion
First reading: October 2007 Reaction: Oh, look! A new baby sister! (I was reading the book in the hospital the night my little sister was born)

Second reading: December 2009 Reaction: Pretty much: <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Mansfield Park

First reading: November 2007 Reaction: Everyone is stupid.

Second reading: August 2009 Reaction: Hey, I like Fanny now. Poor girl, misunderstood by family AND readers. 60 pages later: Mmk, I'm done liking Fanny.

(Clearly, I need to give this one another chance)

Northanger Abbey

First reading November 2007 Reaction: Giggle, squee, giggle!

Second reading: October 2009 Reaction: Stupid people are funny!


- all in good fun, of course,
Delaney

3 comments:

  1. *giggles hysterically* Oh my, you make me laugh.

    Oh, and I took a couple of swings at the J.A. sidebar... extremely simple and plain. And the last one was purely because I wanted to use the adorable dino... ^_^

    http://i52.tinypic.com/34eeyl3.jpg
    an'
    http://i56.tinypic.com/1zflx8o.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn, I love them! And the adorable dino.

    ReplyDelete